Sorebrek's Musings and Ramblings

In search of the holy grail of an MBA (class of 2008 hopeful), this space will hopefully chronicle the search and my other quixotic pursuits.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Ennui

Below the thunders of the upper deep,
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth
...
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by men and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die. (a ding metaphor?)
The Kraken, Lord Alfred Tennyson

With the application festivities winding down, I have been able to focus on my life's true calling - vegetating and drinking. For instance, take the last weekend. I work from home on Fridays - mostly on my googling skills. By Saturday I feel I would grow roots into my arm-chair. I plan a radical overhaul of my schedule. I walk across the room and settle on the couch for the rest of the weekend! I am screening calls. Right now I hate all my friends for no apparent reason - in fact I realize that I hate all of humanity. So I decide to go see the whales in Monterey. I always had this picture of me, the whales, the gulls and the surf. But I end up with a boatful of noisy kids. I want to feed them to the orcas.

In a sea of yellow veldt grass I walk, wobbly, fourteen and naked. Solemn oboists in deathly black stare right through me. I wander into woodwind players, all long-lost friends. In the tall swaying grass I see the first violins. I walk disoriented among string players - violists their faces set in concentration and bassists their flaxen hair flying - all oblivious of me. All except a wild-eyed cellist who will never smile. I strain to listen. My little heart races and panics. I sense every note, I feel the ominous minor key, but the music, the music I cannot hear. All that Stradivari and not a whisper. Suddenly in a series of pained arpeggios, I hear the master sigh in the finale of the 40th. Happy birthday Wolfgang!

I woke up with a start to see a pair of green eyes glaring at me. Percy (Persephone) hates visitors, but no more than I hate cats. In a mist of alcohol breath, she and I stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity. Then Her Feline Grace ambled over to Abigail, nestled in the crook of her arm, closed her eyes and shut me out. I love cats.

Groggy, I woke up to unfamiliar surroundings. I was lying on the floor in Abby's living room. Crumpled on their couch, she and her boyfriend looked like entangled contortionists who were too tired to free themselves from an awkward stunt. It was still dark outside, there was a ouija board on the floor, burnt incense in the air and an open window. More bodies were strewn around.

How exactly I got there still remains a mystery. There is a vague memory of a drinking game, but beyond that everything is a haze. Yes, I am ready for school. All I need is an admit.

11 Comments:

  • At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    keen. i miss monterey.
    but this doesn't change the fact that you've been tagged. ;-)

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger MBA Cutie said…

    You have interesting weekends, Sorebrek.

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger MBA Cutie said…

    Nothing from W yet. Maybe this week.. maybe not. Ever since I got my Michigan Admit, I have been very.. indifferent... with what goes on with the other schools. I'm making plans to head out to India in July.. and come back only right before school starts.
    Good Luck with W for you too!

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    How come you didn't jump into the water and go swimming with the orcas? :-)

    If your imagination is this vivid when you drink, then cheers! Let's go hit the bottle more often! lol.

    Persephone... when I was in the 3rd grade studying Greek mythology, I was given a Hephaestus bookmarker and from then on proudly thought of myself to be happily married to Aphrodite, goddess of love. (And no, I don't swing that way. *wink*)

    Unfortunately, in my loyalty to Aphrodite, Persephone never quite pushed my buttons the way A did. *sigh* But I don't doubt that you have anything less than a very attractive feline.

    Perhaps we can summon the spirit of the great Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart with your ouija board to once again wave his baton for the Eine Kleine Nachtmusik to once again relive its glory... as long as I can take lead vocals for Don Giovanni's Aria from Act I, Scene 2.

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    lol. Just read your comment.

    What's up, my brotha! Keepin' it real in the hood?

    *slap slap snap slap crunch OWW! ding whack hush 'em up! snap* <-- secret handshake action

     
  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Scott said…

    Nice tribute to Wolfgang. Quite the eclectic post...I enjoyed it!

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    Thanks for the text! Hey, a girl needs double the GSB lovin'. *wink* See you in Chicago!!! :-)

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger BigAppleNosh said…

    Hey Sorebrek,
    Thanks for visiting my site! Your comment cracked me up. =o)

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    Good luck w/ W too! We really need to go out and celebrate afterwards. Trying to round up the bay area masses. Hopefully we'll then be talking admit management. :-)

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    lol. You are silly. They'll be baking plenty of goodies for you soon! I'll just be asking you to pass the sugar. Unfortunately for the salt, it had found its way over my left shoulder.

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger Marina said…

    Bien! See you Friday!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home